Korea Life and Cultures

All Korean dishs, Royal court dishes, Grilled dishes, Steamed dishes, Raw dishes...

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cucumber Kimchi - (오이 소박이)

You're probably going to hate me for this, but I have a recipe without measurements for you. Another reason I haven't updated this blog as much is because it's SUCH a pain to 'measure' ingredients when you're a person who isn't used to measuring. =/ Even when cooking non-Korean foods, I hardly ever bust out the measuring utensils. I'm a taste as you go type of person.

Anyhow, I had a little free time today so I decided to make some cucumber kimchi. My husband loves all types of cucmber based banchans, so I have an arsenal of cucumber recipes to keep him happy.


IMG_6005
First Cut a bunch of pickling cucumbers in half and then quarter them ALMOST all the way to the bottom. Let it sit in some salt water for a couple of hours like so. I forgot to take pictures of a few steps, but after about 3-4 hours, rinse all the cucumbers under cool water.


IMG_6213
Meanwhile, prepare the *sok* - the insides were made with the following: (this is the closest you'll be getting to real measurements...sorry!)

  • 1 julienne carrot (I use my Japanese brand mandolin for this - it's the best!)
  • 2 cups of julienne moo
  • 1 bunch of buchoo cut into 1-inch sections
  • 1/2 cup of sliced green onions
  • 1 red pepper sliced thinly
  • 1/4 onions slice thinly (you don't really have to do this, I just used leftover onions from the ddukbokki I made today)
  • 1/2 cup of red pepper powder
  • 2 TB minced garlic
  • 3-4 TB of cooking wine
  • 1 TB sugar
  • 1 TB honey powder
  • dash of ginger powder and pepper and salt
  • 2 TB sesame seeds
  • 1 TB shrimp jut or just use fish sauce
  • a splash of sesame oil


IMG_6290
After you have each and every cucumber stuffed, leave it out for a night before placing inside the fridge. You can start eating this about 3-4 days later.


IMG_6292
Enjoy! The MR said it turned out great and he devoured the last batch within a week. In case I don't get back in time, HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! I truly hope you and yours have a wonderful, fabtabulistic, awesome, dreamy NEW YEAR! Hug and kiss the ones you love and cherish every moment you have. =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment