Korea Life and Cultures

All Korean dishs, Royal court dishes, Grilled dishes, Steamed dishes, Raw dishes...

I realized that I never got around to posting my Donchimi Kimchi recipe. I made this a few times over the years and just found pictures of it from the last time I made it last summer (before I got sick). Anyhow, this time I was at the K-market and found that they had the baby moos perfect for making donchimi kimchi, so I couldn't resist.


IMG_6298
Each of these were a bit bigger than a soda can. I already knew that it would be too much, so I used one and a half and then used my mandolin to slice up the leftover half. I'll show you what I did with it on my next post.


IMG_6301
Peel the moo and leave a few sprouts at the top.


IMG_6303
Chop it up like so and then let it sit in some salt for a few hours.


IMG_6315
Meanwhile, get everything else ready. I used 1/4 Asian pear (Munchkin ate half and I'm going to use the other 1/4 for the next recip), 5-6 whole garlic cloves, couple of peppers (green and red) and some jjook pa (thin green onions).


IMG_6313
After a few hours, there will be some juices at the bottom. DUMP IT and rinse the moo.


IMG_6317
Give it a few rinses.


IMG_6318
Place the moo at the bottom of a large container.


IMG_6319
Arrange all the other ingredients inside the container as well.


IMG_6322
In about 7-8 cups of water (sorry, I didn't really measure) add 2TB of salt and 1TB of honey powder and 1TB of sugar. More or less.


IMG_6329
Pour the liquid into the container and let everything sit out like this for a few days before transferring into the fridge. It should be ready to eat in about 21 days. I've made this numerous times and it really tastes much better with *age* - don't be afraid to let it sit in a corner of your fridge.

_MG_7664
A picture from a previous time I made this as well. It's SO great with some gooksoo noodles! I never posted a picture of DongChiMi Gooksoo, but I shall the next time I make this. Stay Tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment